Friday, May 6, 2011

Peru - the entire journey


The flight out was basically uneventful.  I left Las Vegas in the mid morning on a flight to Houston.  From Houston, I transferred to an international flight to Lima.  I had to change terminals but there was an automated train that took me right where I needed to go.  The connection was very smooth even though I only had an hour to make it.  As I was leaving Las Vegas I took a cool picture of some topographic rocks.  As I was leaving Houston I got pictures of the massive supertankers anchored off the coast.  The sun set quickly as we headed south but I believe I got some pictures of Guatemala before it went completely dark.  We were a little delayed headed to Lima and got in maybe 20 minutes late.  Customs was a breeze, no issues with getting into the country.  The taxi driver, Reese, met me and took me right to the Hotel.  
Topographic Mountains South of Las Vegas

Sunset in the Pacific on the way to Trujillo

Las Vegas - the City

 I stayed at the El Polo hotel, which is right across from the Embassy, not too far from the Barrick office.  I slept fairly well, if briefly, and then headed to the airport somewhat early.  It was unclear to me if the taxi had been arranged, so I had the hotel do it.  I met up with Perrin and Cristina and our flight to Trujillo was over an hour delayed.  I got intermittent internet access – Telefonica – at the airport but was able to exchange a few emails.

When we landed in Trujillo it was immediately apparent that we were by the ocean.  Lots of fishy smells and a warm, thick, humid air.  We were met by a taxi which took us to the hotel, which was really nice – very Peruvian compared to the Polo.  We had a nice dinner, paid for by the consultants, and went to bed – as we had to be up early in the morning to catch the bus to the mine.  I tried out some Pisco sours – which are basically like margarita.  Anyway, everything is very foreign to my US eyes.  Lots of traffic, smells, crowding, etc. that you just don’t see in the US.

We got up early, not sure if we had breakfast or not.  No, not.  We got box lunches from the hotel and ate them on the bus.  We met up with Marcos and Carlos.  Marcos is from Argentina.  He is an accounting student about to get married.  Carlos is from Zaldevar, a Barrick copper mine in Chile, I believe.  As we piled onto the bus we headed to the Barrick staging compound where we got a breathalyzer test and final clearance to head up to the mine.
La Libertad - we were inland from Trujillo by about 70km, straight line.  But 140km by winding Peruvian mountain road.

Sugar Cane Fields

At the top of the canyon.  Probably at 12000 feet.

Farmlands in the high plains.

We left town and it was still kind of overcast.  Our first stop was at the Barrick staging compound.  They gave everyone on the bus a breathalyzer test for alcohol.  Not allowed at the mine.  We headed out through what I later found were sugar cane fields.  The road was relatively flat for the first 20 km, winding along the edge of the valley.  Then we hit some rock outcrops, and a huge canyon that headed up to the mine.  The road was paved but very winding with lots of switchbacks.  We made good time until the exit to Qutzco.  At which point the road forked and turned into a not so good dirt road that wound up even higher into the mountains.   

The river in the canyon was quite impressive, and this at the beginning of the rainy season.  We went through a town called Agalpampa – I have a video of that town – and then hit an extremely muddy section of road where trucks and cars going uphill were simply stopped, unable to move because of the slippery mud.  That section, for some reason, retains a lot more water than other sections.  I knew it might be a problem going back out but more on that later.

Anyway, we had a short break at the bottom of the canyon where Barrick has a resting post.  Just blue room style toilets.  Not great but definitely helpful given the extra amount of water I was taking.  In fact, I tried to drink a bottle of water every few hours.  Made for a lot of trips to the bathroom.  I took aspirin as well.
The other amazing thing was that people created farms on the steepest of hills.  No terracing.  Just a farm laid out on the steep hillside.  Lots of them.  It appears that crops are hauled out by mule back as the roads to these farms and small communities are hardly wide enough for much more.  I got good pictures of those farms.

The road continued up and up and eventually we reached the highlands.  A series of rolling hills, all above 13000 feet, with amazing rock outcroppings and small lakes.  We got to the mine, got checked in and headed for the medical center where they checked oxygen levels and blood pressure.  Mine was high, and I probably am going to need to do something abou that.  I have thick blood but I also am clogging arteries with my diet.  That is changed and it starts here and now. 

Oh, barrick has a slogan, every person going home safe and healthy every day.  In Spanish it is Todos de vuelta a casa, sonas y salvos todos los dias.  There was another slogan on the mirror of my room that said, in Spanish, “it begins here”.  I need to take that to heart.  Well, the medical team passed everyone for living and working at the high altitude but at a meeting later in the afternoon, Marcos started dozing off.  I saw that and ignored it because I assumed he was tired.  Actually he was suffering from the altitude which was about 14,500 feet.  They had to carry him out and he fainted.  I guess they gave him oxygen and he showed up later in the afternoon.  The rest of the week he was fine.

This is ShulcaHuanca -in the local language it means Last Warrior - an ancient volcanic neck.  It is near the mine but will remain untouched by mining activity.  Annually, the locals gather at the base for religious ceremonies.

I have to say that it would be very useful to speak Spanish.  I did OK, and I know a few key words and phrases, but that’s what they speak down there and there were many cases when that’s ALL they spoke. 
Our rooms were OK.  They put me in the senior quarters, which were one step below the manager quarters and above the junior quarters.  The room was spartan, with a single bed and a wired internet connection.  It was freezing cold when I first arrived.  But once the heat warmed the room things were fine.  I had to share a toilet and shower with an adjoining room.  But otherwise had my own place  - which was very nice.  The bed, though small, was comfortable and very firm, which I liked.  I had a little trouble sleeping but I did get rested.  I don’t recall any real headaches but perhaps a bit of shortness of breath.  Otherwise I would say that my body handled the altitude just fine.

The Lagunas Norte mine is at the top of a set of mountains in the Las Libertad state of Peru.  It is a heap leach operation.  So they drill/blast and haul ore material to a crusher, where it is conveyed to a secondary crusher and then to a dump hopper that fills trucks to take the fine ore up to the leach pad.  The leach pad is covered over with plastic because of the rains.  I suspect it keeps the material warmer too which might help with leaching.  The prominent  Shulcahuanca towers over the mine but it will not be disturbed by the mining activity and the area is supposed to be restored to a natural condition after the mine is complete.  Locals are used for labor and service activities and they have received training from Barrick.  I have some great pictures of the mine.  I liked our accommodations but didn’t like being confined in the compound, surrounded by a double concertina wire fence.  So no hiking.  But I was tired enough that at the end of a 12-hour day all I wanted to do was go to sleep.

I am not sure how valuable I was.  I tried to contribute and I felt the meetings went well.  Rishi had me share an implementation plan for Goldstrike so I gave a presentation.  And I think that presentation went well.  The food was good but lacked much in the way of vegetables.  I enjoyed the Trucha (trout) dishes and also a fruit called a “grenadine” which was basically a thick skinned seedpod filled with crunchy seeds and a sweet nectar.  I had two of them and didn’t experience any issues.

The bus ride back to Trujillo was horrible.  I got a true headache that just didn’t quit, aggravated by all the traveling we had to do.  6 hours of winding bumpy painful travel down the canyon.  We did get stopped by the mud but eventually the driver just went for it.  A small convoy of Brinks armored cars was headed down about the same time as us.  Surely one or more of them carried freshly processed dores from our mine.  I got a picture of one of them in the mud and you can clearly see the muzzle of a machine gun – those guys mean business.  Clearly there is a danger of robbery but you would need serious firepower to overcome the armor and the guards. 
Amazing rock formations near the mining camp

An Alpaca

Sunset over Miami

Amazing topography under the ocean.  This is Key Largo, but in Cuba

We had a good dinner in Trujillo followed by a late flight to Lima and taxi ride to the hotel.  I didn’t get to sleep until about 1:30, maybe even two.  But I did sleep, was awakened by the alarm at 7:15 and had breakfast with Marcos and Carlos.  Marcello slept in but we waited for him.  Then we headed to the office.  It’s a nice place and I got some pictures.  We worked a bit with the finance people and at noon we went for a civiche lunch.  I hosed the lunch at Rischi’s request.  It cost $200 US.  But it was for 7 people, including myself.  I enjoyed the meal but I believe something in it gave me diarrhea as I woke up with almost no control in the morning.  I started the antibiotic regimen the company doctor gave me (Cipro) and everything cleared up practically the same day.  I am pretty sure it was that civiche meal that did it.

I did get a chance to go shopping with Marcello and Marcos.  We went to Miraflores, a well known shopping district.  I got a nice set of jewelry for Marion and a bunch of trinket type stuff.  A Peruvian hat, a wool cap, a flute and a couple of gourds (carved).  I couldn’t find a large ocarina so I may just buy one on the internet.  The shopping district was very crowded as it was a holiday.  We stopped at a coffee/bar place and Marcello got us drinks.  I tried another Pisco sour – that seems to be the national drink of Peru.  Very nice.    Anyway, after 5 or 6 attempts we found a taxi to take us back to the hotel.  That was actually an adventure.  Many of the streets were jammed with traffic because of the Mayday holiday.  We took back roads and whatnot.  Still only $20 soles  (which is less than $7) – and we even got a receipt. 

Back at the hotel I got everything organized, took a shower, and packed everything for the journey home.  I was a bit late checking out but met the taxi driver and had a very smooth early morning ride to the airport, where I breezed through all the security and ticket checks and made my way to the first class lounge where I had some coffee and checked email.  And so, I easily caught my AA flight to Miami at which point I had to clear customs and catch another flight to Las Vegas.  On the way to Miami, we flew over Panama, the Cayman islands, and Cuba.  I got some pretty pics of that.  Out of Miami, some terrific cloud filled sunset shots.  But basically dark flying to Las Vegas where I managed to fairly easily connect with Marion, who brought Chloe to greet me, and an uneventful drive to our house.  I must have been pretty tired as I hardly remember any of that.

I would say that it was a successful trip.  I met a lot of good friends and had some unique experiences.  Definitely good career development.  Plus, Peru is an absolutely fantastic country to visit, and we didn’t even visit the pretty parts.  I’m thinking Peruvian vacation later in the year with Marion.  Go to Cuzco and Machu Pichu.  Try to get in some hiking on one of the ancient Inca trails.  Maybe learn a little Spanish before we go.

4 comments:

  1. Nice trip, Robert! Sorry the ceviche got you. :-O I guess I got lucky, ate lots of weird foods but only got sick once from a salad. What was the purpose of your trip? Was it your company's mine and they needed some insights into how to manage?
    Dave Meader

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dave wanted to know why I went to Peru. Well, my company has developed a new project evaluation tool called the Value Driver Tree. You can google that to see exactly what it does. We recently implemented one at the mine where I work in the US. I went along as kind of an internal consultant to help smooth transition by sharing some of the issues we faced in our implementation.

    ReplyDelete
  3. finally cranking up my blogging again and checked here.
    hope all is well!

    ReplyDelete