Sunday, April 24, 2011

Day 2 - so I am here

I got in pretty late last night.  I believe Lima is in the eastern time zone.  So even though it was 12:30 am when I got to bed it was only 9:30 by my clock.  The airplane seats were very comfortable so the trip here wasn't very tiring. 

Lima, at midnight on Easter, wasn't very inviting.  I think the airport is in a poorer part of town.  Lots of people ambling about though.  Piles of trash everywhere.  Very much a third world feel. I was inside a company vehicle with a driver so I felt pretty safe.  Although "driving" here is a different experience.  The horn becomes as essential as the gas pedal, for example.  I got to the hotel, which is small, but clean and very nice.  It's across the street from the US Embassy.  I have about 3 or 4 hours now to do something.  Not sure what.  Easter in an 80% catholic country means just about everything is closed.  I need to hang around the room for a bit to determine exactly how I will get to the airport.   I have no cell phone access.  Just email and internet, when there is WIFI.

This afternoon, I fly to Trujillo, a smaller city about an hour to the north.  Then, tomorrow, by bus to the mine at 13000-14000 feet.

The weather here is really good.  Warm and a little humid.  I like it.

No comments:

Post a Comment