Friday, April 22, 2011

Going to Peru - Part 1

Hi All.  Well, I am leaving for Peru tomorrow.  I will be there a week.  It is entirely a work trip.  I am visiting one of the Barrick mines in northern Peru called Lagunas Norte to help implement a new project management tool.  If I am lucky, I will have some time a week from tonight (a friday) afternoon and evening to see something in the Lima Area.  Otherwise, I am going to be at a "Camp" at 12,000 feet or so and working.  The camp is not a tent.  Its habitized containers.  There is a mess hall and perhaps a recreation area.  I am taking my harmonica so maybe I'll get a chance to share some American folk music.

Of note, they've given me a pretty thorough physical and inoculated me against all sorts of dread diseases including Typhoid, yellow fever, and malaria.  A bunch of routine things as well.

On the positive side, I get to fly business class since it is an international trip.  Woo hoo!

Here is a video about the mine.  It's in Spanish but even if you don't speak the language you can get an idea of just how spectacular a place the Andes are.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gkgSiCT1Tdw

I'll try to provide regular updates and pictures.

No comments:

Post a Comment