Saturday, April 23, 2011

Day 1 - I'm a traveling man

So, as I sit here at McCarran Airport in Las Vegas I am marveling at how flight has changed since the olden days when you sat in the open cockpit.  LOL.  No, but it has really changed a lot since I started flying in the 60's.  For example, from my Blackberry, I can call up a webpage for the airline and instantly know if the plane is on time or late.  I can make a reservation, buy a ticket, change seats.  At some airports, I can even check in and get an electronic boarding pass - all on the phone.  My laptop is plugged in, I'm enjoying a Starbucks white chocolate mocha and the free WIFI here lets me send and receive email as well as check up on my social networking pages.  Indeed, pretty amazing.


Security is a pain these days.  They put you through the whole body scanner (the one where your nekeddness is displayed for the world to see) and you practically need a locker room to get dressed again on the other side.  There seriously has to be a better way.  If I were in charge, I'd find a way to identify the terrorists in advance and focus my efforts on them.  We are wasting so much time on people who are simply ordinary while the real danger finds a way to bypass the system.  Oh well.

The plane boards in half an hour.  Business class (first class when BC is not available) means comfortable seats, free drinks, movies, and good food.  I've got a window seat and I'll definitely be taking pictures if there are pictures to take (depends on lighting and clouds).  I'm bound for Houston where I change planes and then head to Lima, Peru - where I arrive (if on time) at 10:25 tonight.  Then, a driver is supposed to meet me at the airport and take me to the Polo Hotel - a pretty decent place in the University section of Lima.  Based on a Google Earth investigation, there appear to be some small mountains within walking distance of the hotel.  As it is Easter Sunday tomorrow, and Peru is 80+% catholic, I am expecting everything to be closed.  So a nice morning hike may definitely be in order.  We will see.  Sunday late afternoon I head on another plane to Trujillo where Monday morning we head by bus along a narrow winding highway to the mine.

I found a map from a site investigation of the mine done several years ago.  It plots out the location of archaeological sites potentially impacted by the mining activities.  Some of them are "pre-Spanish) - which I have to assume means Inca.  This is no Machu Pichu, may just be stone chipping sites, but if I get a chance I'm going to try to check them out.

Later,
R

No comments:

Post a Comment